Calcium is the most abundant element in the body, making up approx. 1300g or about 1-2% of body weight.
99% of Calcium is found in the skeleton and teeth. The remaining 1% is found in the blood, extracellular fluid, muscle and other tissues. This 1% is very important because if levels fall there will be a profound effect on a person’s health. Calcium is required for normal growth and development of the skeleton. It is also needed for muscle contraction, blood vessel contraction and expansion, the secretion of hormones and enzymes, and sending messages throughout the nervous system.A healthy bone structure is necessary to protect vital organs, aid locomotion, as an attachment site for muscles and in the production of red blood cells and the production of white blood cells in the bone marrow.
The 1% located extra-cellularly is necessary for vascular contraction, vascular vasodilatations, muscle contraction, nerve transmission and glandular secretion.Chronic Calcium deficiency resulting from mal-absorption or inadequate Ca intake causes an increase in Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) activity and together with 1,25(OH2)D3 this stimulates osteoclast formation, which withdraws Calcium from the bone reserve. This withdrawal is a major determinant in the reduction of bone mass and in the progression of Osteoporosis.Getting the adequate amount of Calcium is very important to help maximise peak bone mass. This is thought to be one of the best ways to strengthen bones and reduce the risk of Osteoporosis.

Why Osean 74?

Not all Calcium is the same. Most Calcium supplements are extracted from limestone or rock. Osean 74’s Calcium is derived from a plant based source, Lithothamnion seaweed species, and contains Argonite, Vaterite and Calcite. The presence of these three components give the natural Calcium found in Osean 74 its porous nature and honeycomb structure (pictured), which dramatically increases the Calcium’s surface area. Stomach acid can come into greater contact with the Calcium, making it easy to dissolve into the body and providing greater efficacy.

The most common form of Calcium available, Calcium Carbonate, is made up entirely of Calcite and is derived from rock. The body finds this a lot harder to break down and most of Calcium Carbonate does end up being absorbed by the body.

Calcium alone is not enough to prevent bone-loss and reduction in bone density levels. Vitamins and minerals are needed as well in order for Calcium to be utilised by the body effectively. Lithothamnion seaweed species contains 74 trace minerals, providing you with a complete multi-mineral complex.

Vitamin D

Vitamin D plays an important role in the absorption of Calcium. The body needs Vitamin D to absorb Calcium. Without enough Vitamin D the body can’t form adequate amounts of the hormone Calcitriol (known as the ‘active Vitamin D’). This, in turn, leads to insufficient calcium absorption from the diet. In this situation the body must take Calcium from its stores in the skeleton, which weakens existing bones and prevents the formation of strong, new bone.

Osean 74 fortified with Vitamin D will optimize absorption of Calcium and minerals more effectively, increasing potency and efficacy where needed.

Many factors affect the absorption of Calcium and a Calcium and rich multi-mineral source like Osean 74 is especially suitable for:

  • Pregnant/Lactating Women
  • People over the age of 30
  • Those suffering from a bone or joint condition.
  • Post-menopausal women
  • Those with low Vitamin D levels
  • Malnourished individuals, particularly those who suffer from Calcium and Mineral deficiency
  • Coeliacs and Diabetics

Our Products

  • original

    Osean 50+

    A natural mix of Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D3 & Pine Bark that will provide care, comfort and support to bones and joints.
    from €19.95
  • original

    Osean Active

    A natural blend of 74 minerals that deliver everything you need to manage a hectic lifestyle.
    from €17.95